Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Whangaroa & Puketi

Eventually I escaped Auckland and drove north, an unusual direction for tourists but I wanted to check out NZ from north to south. Arrived at my lodge in Kerikeri where they greet you with a beer!

It was amazingly hot and muggy so I saved the hiking until the next morning. The hotel manager told me to check out the Whangaroa area, so I did. Right off the ocean, Lots of private land there so not a lot of hiking, though I was totally primed after being on a ship for a month.

So I drove back to a forest access and found a long track into the Puketi forest. It was around noon by that time and so much hotter. I hiked for about three hours, mainly to get the pent up demand out of my system. I was totally wiped at the end, mission accomplished. 

The photo of me below is deceptive, I was about to conk out due to the heat.


Lots of logging going on here, reminds me of Oregon.

Puketi forest conservation area


The Mangahorehore track after a couple hours of hot, sunny hiking


No comments:

Post a Comment