Monday, February 22, 2016

Lake Okatainia

I left Tokoroa on Super Bowl Sunday and arrived in Rotorua just in time for the show. I scrambled into a sports bar and there it was on TV. Only about 7 people were watching it that afternoon at 12:30, the rest were betting on dog races (I think). Of the people watching the Broncos vs Panthers game there was a Colorado guy (me) and believe it or not a guy from N. Carolina. 

I watched until just about halftime and then headed to my lodge at Lake Okataina to watch the rest. Only I couldn't. There was no TV there, the only time on this trip I wish I had one. And no internet or cell phone coverage. And even radio was hard to come by, I had to hack up a useable antenna. By that time I heard the Broncos won. Cool. 

There was no one staying at the lodge that night or the next, like the Shining or something. And that's when my credit card was frozen due to an unrelated issue. On top of that, since I lost communication with Shelly she wondered if I had been in an accident or something. Shelly figured out what must have happened and told me about all this the next day. Funny how all these events converge.


I hiked the next day on what I named the "hazard hike" because just about every stickery thing that could get you got me. Thorns, nettles and grass seed stickers. It was unbelievable but another connection with nature. In a painful way...

Trees on the hazard hike


Weird fungus growing on a dead tree stump on the Hazard Hike


No comments:

Post a Comment